A Marist Poll national survey conducted after the 2022 midterm elections found a majority of voters — Republicans, Democrats and independents leaning toward one party — believe their party has a better chance of winning the presidency in 2024. There will be an opportunity if President Biden and former President Trump. Not nominated.
According to the poll, 52% of Republicans said the GOP would have a better chance of winning the next presidential election if someone other than Trump were nominated, while 37% still thought Trump was the best candidate for the job. . About 11 percent where undecided.
Among Republican-leaning independents, 30% believe Trump is the best GOP candidate, while 60% want someone else to lead the party.
The results, which come just days after Trump announced a third bid for the presidency, mark a sharp shift from an October Marist poll that found 50 percent of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents thought Trump would win the election. It is the best chance for the presidency for the party. 2024. Only 35% preferred anyone else as the GOP nominee in that poll.
Donald Trump has announced that he will run for president again in 2024
The shift comes after the GOP’s less successful midterm elections than expected, raising questions about what role Trump’s involvement played in the significant losses. Some have suggested that Gov. Ron DeSantis would be the best candidate to win the Republican Party in 2024.
Some of the potential Republican contenders who could be lining up to take on Trump in 2024 include former Vice President Mike Pence, former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, former Ambassador Nikki Haley, Virginia Governor Glenn Youngkin, South Carolina Sen. Tim Scott, Governor of Maryland included. Larry Hogan and Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas.
According to the Marist poll, about 44 percent of Democrats want to see Biden serve another term, while 46 percent believe Democrats’ best chance to stay in power would be with a new candidate. A large majority of Democratic-leaning independents — 71% — said the party should get new representation in 2024, with just 23% backing Biden in a 2024 run.
Watch 2024: Can Trump beat Biden in potential presidential rematch?
The combined number of Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents pushing for Biden to be the 2024 nominee rose to 38 percent, up two points from the October poll.
The president saw a 10-point increase in those who would like to see someone else run in his place, from 44 percent in the October poll to 54 percent. The increase came from 20% of respondents who were not sure if they wanted to see Biden as the Democratic nominee in the October poll.
According to the poll, 54 percent of respondents disapprove of Biden’s job as president, up six points from an October poll that showed the president’s job disapproval rating at 49 percent.
Among independent voters, 55% disapprove of how Biden is handling his position as president.
Inflation is the top priority for the majority of respondents as a new Congress takes office. According to the latest Consumer Price Index (CPI) report, inflation rose to 7.7 percent in October, slightly lower than the previous 8.2 percent.
Among Democratic voters, 20% said the most important issue was preserving democracy, followed by 17% who felt the focus should be on gun policy and only 11% said inflation.
Among GOP voters, 47% agreed that inflation is the issue of greatest concern, and 24% said the issue of immigration deserves the most attention. Inflation was the top concern for 35% of independent voters, followed by 16% who said protecting democracy and 15% who thought climate change should be a top priority in Congress. Abortion was not among the top three issues of concern for either party.
A majority of respondents — 58% — think there should be an age limit for the presidency, although the poll did not specify an exact age.
Click here to get the Fox News app.
The Marist survey was conducted on November 14-16. The margin of error between Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents is plus or minus 6.5 percentage points, while the margin of error for Republicans and Republican-leaning independents comes in at 6.9 percentage points.