North Korea fired another ballistic missile toward its eastern waters on Thursday, South Korea’s military said, hours after the North threatened a “tough” military response to the United States.To its allies South Korea and Japan.
South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff reported that the test of a short-range ballistic missile took place at 10:48 a.m. local time Thursday in the East Sea, launched from the North Korean city of Wonsan. The South Korean military estimated the missile had a range of about 240 km, an altitude of 47 km and a speed of Mach 4.
The US Indo-Pacific Command said in a statement that it was “aware” of the launch and was “consulting closely with our allies and partners.” The agency added that it had determined that the launch “did not pose an immediate threat to U.S. personnel or territories or to our allies.”
Earlier on Thursday, North Korean Foreign Minister Choe Son Hue warned that the agreement on North Korea at the recent US-South Korea-Japan summit would make tensions on the Korean Peninsula “more unpredictable”.
Cho’s statement was North Korea’s first official response to President Biden’s trilateral summit with his South Korean and Japanese counterparts in Cambodia on Sunday. In their joint statement, the three leaders strongly condemned North Korea’s recent missile tests and agreed to work together to strengthen deterrence, while Biden called on South Korea and Japan to use their full capabilities, including their nuclear weapons. Reiterated US commitment to defense.
Chu said the US-South Korea-Japan summit would bring the situation on the Korean Peninsula to a “more unpredictable stage”.
“The more closely the United States monitors its ‘strong offer of extended deterrence’ to its allies and the more it steps up provocative and bluffing military activities on the Korean Peninsula and in the region, the stronger (North Korea’s) military response will be.” “There will be a direct proportion,” Cho said. “It would pose a more serious, realistic and unavoidable threat to the United States and its occupier forces.”
Cho did not say what steps North Korea might take but said that “the US will know very well that it is taking a gamble that it will surely regret.”
North Korea has steadfastly maintained its position.The activities are a legitimate military response to military exercises between U.S. and South Korean forces, which it views as a drill to attack the North.
In late October, US and South Korean officialsNorth Korea is preparing to test a nuclear weapon soon, in what would be its first nuclear test since 2017.
And earlier this month,kicked out – triggering evacuation warnings in some South Korean and Japanese areas – largely in protest of large-scale US-South Korean air force exercises that the North views as an invasion exercise.
On November 7, North KoreaIt said its missile tests were a “brutal” exercise to attack South Korean and US targets such as air bases and operational command systems.